Probiotic-Pro BB536 Bifidobacterium longum
Hi Potency Shelf Stable Probiotic 10 Billion Active Cells*
Probiotic-Pro BB536 is a high potency probiotic, containing 10 billion cfu (colony forming units) per capsule of the species Bifidobacterium longum BB536, one of the most researched in the world. It is a proprietary strain which has a shelf life remarkably longer and more stable than other probiotic supplements, demonstrating a lower rate of loss than other strains of Bifidobacterium exposed to multiple different temperatures.1
Isolated from healthy human gastrointestinal (GI) tracts, Bifidobacterium has long been recognized to be a beneficial genus, constituting over 90% of total GI bacteria in breast-fed infants.2 It has been shown to have multiple immunomodulating effects, such as increasing the production of secretory IgA and activity of both NK cells and neutrophils, as well as balancing Th1 and Th2 immune activity.3,4,5 It also has been shown to enhance mucosal barrier function in patients with ulcerative colitis, partly by upregulating tight junction molecules.6 In clinical trials, supplementation with BB536 has been shown to reduce allergic symptoms, decrease influenza infection, lower serum cholesterol levels, normalize elimination frequency, reduce pathogenic bacterial populations, and improve symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.7-11
- High potency: 10 billion cfu (colony forming unites) of Bifidobacterium longum BB536 per capsule
- Superior shelf stability when compared to other species of Bifidobacterium
- BB536 one of the most studied species in the world
- Resistance to GI acidity allows it to reach large intestine12
- Stable at room temperature. Refrigeration not required.
- Suitable for vegetarians/vegans
- 70 scientific reports conducted, including 35 human clinical trials.
- Inulin, a natural fibre found in such foods as Jerusalem artichoke, onions and agave, may help to implant Bifidobacteria in the colon.
- Bifi dobacterium longum plus Lactobacillus helveticus may help reduce mild depression, anxiety, and anger without having any addictive properties or learning impairment associated with prescription drugs
- Bifidobacteria supplementation may help reduce the gas, bloating and discomfort of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Some research scientists have noted that Bifidobacterium longum helps reduce inflammation in the body. Excess inflammation is associated with an increased heart disease risk
- One study has recently noted that a yogurt containing Bifi dobacterium longum was very helpful in relieving children of bowel constipation
Serving Size: 2 Vegetarian Capsules
Servings per Container: 30
Each Capsule Contains:
Bifidobacterium longum BB536®..................................10 billion cfu*
*cfu: colony forming units. Guaranteed 10 billion active cells at the time of expiry.
Non-medicinal IngredientsMicrocrystalline cellulose, calcium carbonate, vegetarian capsule (carbohydrate gum [cellulose], purified water, silica), vegetable grade magnesium stearate (lubricant).
AllergensContains no artificial colours, preservatives, or sweeteners; no dairy, sugar, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, egg, fish, shellfish, animal products, salt, tree nuts, or GMOs. Suitable for vegetarians/vegans. Sealed for your protection. Do not use if seal is broken. For freshness, store in a cool, dry place.
Recommended Adult Dose1–2 capsules, 2–3 times per day, or as directed by a health care practitioner. Take at least 2–3 hours before or after antibiotics.
Drug InteractionsNo known drug interactions exist. Separation by at least 2 hours from antibiotic use may improve the efficacy of Probiotic-Pro BB536.
Bifidobacteria longum Benefits
Promotes daily regularity*
Alleviates occasional indigestion*
Guaranteed full potency for 2 years
If you're like millions of other Americans, you experience episodic digestion upsets, such as occasional constipation and diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, gas, and bloating. But if you thought you just had to put up with digestive troubles, here's some good news: they are not inevitable! in fact, they are often simply due to a lack of beneficial bacteria (or probiotics).
Morinaga BB536 is a proprietary strain of Bifidobacterium longum developed by Japan's second-largest dairy company. BB536 is one of the world's most researched and effective probiotic strains, and the top-selling probiotic ingredient in Japan.
Numerous published human clinical trials have shown that BB536:
- Provides a natural defense against episodic digestive upsets, including diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, gas, and bloating.*
- Improves the body's ratio of beneficial bacteria.*
- Decreases ammonia and putrefactive products in the digestive tract.*
- Fumiaki Abe, Hirofumi Miyauchi, Ayako Uchijima, et al. Stability of bifidobacteria in powdered formula. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2009,44, 718–724.
- Roger LC, Costabile A, Holland DT, et al. Examination of faecal Bifidobacterium populations in breast- and formula-fed infants during the first 18 months of life. Microbiology. 2010 Nov;156(Pt 11):3329-41.
- Iwabuchi N, Takahashi N, Xiao JZ, et al. In vitro Th1 cytokine-independent Th2 suppressive effects of bifidobacteria. Microbiol Immunol.2007;51(7):649-60.
- Xiao JZ, Kondo S, Yanagisawa N, et al. Probiotics in the treatment of Japanese cedar pollinosis: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Clin Exp Allergy. 2006 Nov;36(11):1425-35.
- Akatsu H, Iwabuchi N, Xiao JZ, et al. Clinical Effects of Probiotic Bifidobacterium longum BB536 on Immune Function and Intestinal Microbiota in Elderly Patients Receiving Enteral Tube Feeding. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Nov 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Takeda Y, Nakase H, Namba K, et al. Upregulation of T-bet and tight junction molecules by Bifidobactrium longum improves colonic inflammation of ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2009 Nov;15(11):1617-8.
- Xiao JZ, Kondo S, Yanagisawa N, et al. Clinical efficacy of probiotic Bifidobacterium longum for the treatment of symptoms of Japanese cedar pollen allergy in subjects evaluated in an environmental exposure unit.Allergol Int. 2007 Mar;56(1):67-75.
- Namba K, Hatano M, Yaeshima T, et al. Effects of Bifidobacterium longum BB536 administration on influenza infection, influenza vaccine antibody titer, and cell-mediated immunity in the elderly. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74(5):939-45.
- Kondo J, Xiao JZ, Shirahata A, et al. Modulatory effects of Bifidobacterium longum BB536 on defecation in elderly patients receiving enteral feeding.World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Apr 14;19(14):2162-70.
- Odamaki T, Sugahara H, Yonezawa S, et al. Effect of the oral intake of yogurt containing Bifidobacterium longum BB536 on the cell numbers of enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis in microbiota. Anaerobe. 2012 Feb;18(1):14-8.
- Andrade S, Borges N. Effect of fermented milk containing Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum on plasma lipids of women with normal or moderately elevated cholesterol. J Dairy Res. 2009 Nov;76(4):469-74.
- Clark PA, Martin JH. Selection of bifidobacteria for use as dietary adjuvants in cultured dairy foods: III. Tolerance to stimulated bile concentrations of human small intestines. Cult Dairy Prod J. 1994;29:18–21.